Current:Home > InvestNew York appeals court scales back bond due in Trump fraud case and sets new deadline -Capitatum
New York appeals court scales back bond due in Trump fraud case and sets new deadline
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:10:38
A New York appeals court ruled that former President Donald Trump does not have to come up with $464 million to appeal the judgment against him in his civil fraud trial, and must only provide a bond in the amount of $175 million.
At midnight Monday, the time had expired on the 30-day grace period that New York Attorney General Letitia James had allowed for Trump and his co-defendants to secure a bond as they pursue an appeal of the $464 million judgment in his New York civil fraud trial. In order to appeal the case, Trump had been obligated to obtain a bond in the amount of the judgment.
The appeals court stayed much of the judgment of the lower court, which in February ordered Trump and co-defendants to pay a financial penalty, known as disgorgement, that has reached nearly $465 million, including daily interest. The penalty is intended to claw back the amount Trump and his company benefited from the scheme.
Under the appellate ruling, Trump now has 10 days to come up with the $175 million bond. In addition to the financial portion of the lower court's decision, the appeals court stayed the three-year bars against Trump from applying for loans from New York financial institutions, the two-year prohibition against Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump from serving as officers or directors in New York companies and the permanent bar against former Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg and controller Jeff McConney from serving in financial control positions in New York businesses.
The appeals court kept in place the lower court's order for an independent monitor to oversee the Trump Organization and the installation of a compliance director.
The office of the New York attorney general said in response to the ruling, "Donald Trump is still facing accountability for his staggering fraud. The court has already found that he engaged in years of fraud to falsely inflate his net worth and unjustly enrich himself, his family, and his organization. The $464 million judgment – plus interest – against Donald Trump and the other defendants still stands."
Trump released a statement on social media accepting the appeals court's ruling: "We will abide by the decision of the Appellate Division, and post either a bond, equivalent securities, or cash." He also lashed out at New York Attorney General Letitia James and Judge Arthur Engoron, saying their credibility "has been shattered."
"This also shows how ridiculous and outrageous Engoron's original decision was at $450 Million," Trump said. He also repeated that he "did nothing wrong."
If Trump produces the bond within 10 days, as he says he will, he'll have months to prepare, since arguments in the appeals case will not take place until at least after the appeals court's fall term begins in September. Trump must now perfect his appeal, which means making all the preparations necessary for the appeal and then getting case onto the court's calendar.
Jesse Zanger contributed to this report.
veryGood! (4228)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Eric Church speaks out on his polarizing Stagecoach 2024 set: 'It felt good'
- The importance of being lazy
- Authorities name driver fatally shot by deputies in Memphis after he sped toward them
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- New charges announced against 4 youths arrested in gunfire at event to mark end of Ramadan
- Rihanna Reveals Why Her 2024 Met Gala Look Might Be Her Most Surprising Yet
- Zendaya breaks down her 'dream girl' dance scene in 'Challengers': 'It's hilarious'
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- Affluent Americans are driving US economy and likely delaying need for Fed rate cuts
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Beyoncé and Blue Ivy Carter to Star in Lion King Prequel: All the Buzzworthy Details
- Eric Church speaks out on his polarizing Stagecoach 2024 set: 'It felt good'
- Demonstrators breach barriers, clash at UCLA as campus protests multiply: Updates
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Columbia protest faces 2 p.m. deadline; faculty members 'stand' with students: Live updates
- California is joining with a New Jersey company to buy a generic opioid overdose reversal drug
- Scott McLaughlin wins at Barber after week of questions around Team Penske controversy
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Activist who fought for legal rights for Europe’s largest saltwater lagoon wins ‘Green Nobel’
Clayton MacRae: FED Rate Cut and the Stock Market
Veterinary care, animal hospitals are more scarce. That's bad for pets (and their owners)
Bet365 ordered to refund $519K to customers who it paid less than they were entitled on sports bets
AIGM puts AI into Crypto security
Powerball winning numbers for April 27 drawing: Lottery jackpot rises to $149 million
Oregon authorities to reveal winner of $1.3 billion Powerball jackpot